Explore and discover the taonga (treasures) of Shakespear Open Sanctuary with our new app.
It features 2 self-guided trails to download before you go and then use any time you visit. Note that you have to download the app itself and then also the trails you want to use. The trails use GPS technology so simply turn on notifications to receive alerts when you reach each stop.
The Kaitiaki Trail takes you through the stunning Waterfall Gully bush walk, out onto farmland with breath-taking views. It brings to life the nature conservation stories of the Sanctuary and includes an interactive 360 degree panorama from the lookout.
The Tamariki Trail is aimed at children ages 5+ and begins at the Old Woolshed information centre. Featuring your guide Kare the Kiwi, it also includes hidden quiz signs to be discovered in a fun adventure around some of the Sanctuary’s main highlights.
Don’t forget sunscreen and a hat.
Shakespear is the first Auckland Regional Park to have its own app, so we’d love to hear your feedback and ideas for themed trails to be added in the future.
Thank you to:
- Gulf Harbour Country Club and local businesses for funding the app through a sponsored golf tournament.
- Auckland Council rangers for their support with scoping the app and installing the signs.
- Snapper Graphics for the graphic design.
- OnCell for the MyTours app platform.
- Ian and Nancy Miller at iseeVideo for the video clips.
- Sam Kynman Cole at topVIEW Photography for the promotional video.
- Donald Snook, Anna Arrol, Bartek Wypych, Virginia Nicol and JP Mower for the photographs.
- Gulf Harbour School for finding us our Tamariki Trail stars.
- Tony Gibbs from Surferd Pix for the waterfall video